Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Voices of Fiction - Traditional or Self-Publication - Part Six

Welcome to Voices of Fiction.

We continue our discussion on publication choice, traditional or self-publication.

Please welcome our authors.

Born in France, award-winning author Vijaya Schartz never conformed to anything and could never refuse a challenge. She likes action and exotic settings, in life and on the page. She traveled the world and writes with the same ease about the future and the far away past. Her novels collected many five star reviews and literary awards. - Website, Amazon, Barnes/Noble


Cindy Cromer's first published novel earned her the title of award winning author. Desperate Measures, won the highly competitive mystery/suspense/thriller category in The Smart Writ Book Awards and was named a winner in The Authors Show contest, 50 Great Writers You Should Be Reading. Website, Books/Books, Vero Beach Book Center

Nicole Zoltack loves to write whatever strikes her fancy. When she’s not writing about knights, talking unicorns, or zombies, she loves to spend time with her wonderful family. She enjoys riding horses (pretending they’re unicorns, of course!) and going to the PA Renaissance Faire, dressed in garb. Blog, Website, Amazon


 
Welcome Authors! It's wonderful to have you back.

What is your publishing method choice: Traditional or Self-Publication? Why?

Vijaya Schartz - I’ve done it all over the years. Nowadays, I choose to publish with small publishers. New York publishers find my stories too unconventional. They do not fit the mold. The self-publishing route is too much work. I want to write, not be a publisher. So small press publishers are wonderful for me. They like my work because it’s unconventional. And they do for me all the things a large publisher does (edit, format, hire cover artists, publish my books in eBooks everywhere, print the paperbacks, do some promotion, etc.). Frankly, with as many books as I write, I do not have the time nor the inclination to do all that stuff. So small press is a perfect fit.

Cindy Cromer - My choice is traditional publishing. During the search for an agent and publisher, I noticed many had a stipulation on their sites that they would not consider any work from an author who had previously self-published. I mean no disrespect to any self-published author as I’ve met several who have had much success.

Nicole Zoltack - Currently, I’m published through a small e-publisher. With some of my other stories, I wish to acquire an agent and purse traditional publishing. If that never happens, I will stick with small- or mid-sized publishers. Why? I think editing is very important with stories, as are covers. Authors will always need editors because authors tend to be too blinded by their own words--there’s no distance, they’re too involved with the story. Editors don’t have that problem. As for covers, I’m a writer, not an artist. A great cover can sell you copies by itself.

Thank you all for joining us today.

Readers and Authors, feel free to ask questions and leave comments concerning this topic in the comment section below. You may also send questions to chergreen@chergreen.com

(Disclaimer - Bios and photos submitted by authors.)

No comments:

 
Blog Directory