Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Voices of Fiction - Can Creativity Be Taught - Part Four

Welcome to Voices of Fiction.

We continue our discussion on creativity.

Please welcome our authors.

Vicki Batman likes to kick back with a diet Coke and write crazy things for her characters. She has completed three manuscripts, written essays, and sold many short stories. Most days begin with her hands set to the keyboard and thinking "What if??" - Website, Blog, Amazon
Karenna Colcroft is the alter ego of a shy, sedate wife and mother. She has been writing since age five, and dove into erotic romance in 2006. Her first book was published in 2009, and since then she has had over thirty stories published. She lives in the northeastern US with her two children and her real-life romance hero husband. - Website, Facebook, Twitter


Carole Ann Moleti is a nurse-midwife in New York City, thus explaining her fascination with paranormal and urban fantasy. Her newest fiction is featured in Beltane: Ten Tales of Magic. Excerpts of Carole's memoir, Someday I'm Going to Write a Book: Diary of an Urban Missionary has been published most recently in the new, irreverent Not Your Mother's Book Series. - Website, Blog, Twitter


Pembroke Sinclair has had several short stories, novellas, novels, and nonfiction published in various places. She writes an eclectic mix of fantasy, science fiction, horror, some romance, and previously Westerns. - Blog, eTreasures, Amazon



Welcome Authors! It's wonderful to have you back.

Can creativity be taught?

Vicki Bateman: I'm not sure about creativity being taught. We can increase creativity by exploring it through different mediums. For example, I do needlepoint. And while I am, I often think about things, especially my writing.

Karenna Colcroft: I don't know if creativity can be taught, but I believe everyone has a degree of creativity within them. What sometimes needs to be--and can be--taught is how to *use* that creativity.

Carole Ann Moleti: Everyone is creative in some way. I can't draw or paint, but I can write (not my opinion--other people than my family have told me that). I took guitar lessons for years and don't remember anything. But I have internalized most of the details my writing teachers shared. I can also cobble together all sorts of things in a pinch, using whatever is at hand. I recently suspended a plastic sock hanger on my arbor to hold food for the birds. When my son couldn't find his regulation red bow tie for a band concert, I took one off a Vermont Teddy Bear and pinned it to his collar (after removing the "love me" badge). Maybe that's why I can piece together a story without a detailed outline.

Pembroke Sinclair: Sheesh! That's a tough question! I would like to think so. After all, we aren't born with the ability to write, and the more we do it, (hopefully) the better we get. Some people have more of a leaning toward creativity, but I think everyone has the potential to be creative. They just need the proper outlet.

Thank you all for joining us today.

Readers feel free to ask questions concerning this topic in the comments. Also feel free to send questions to chergreen@chergreen.com Subject: Voices of Fiction Question, and have them answered by the participating authors in later editions.

There’s also room for more authors to participate. Drop me an email, Subject: Voices of Fiction.

(Disclaimer - Bios and photos submitted by authors.)


2 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Love the answers. I also think that creativity flourishes when we're being creative, as in doing needlepoint, as Vicki mentioned, sketching, listening to music even.

Cher Green said...

Joylene, I agree. Creativity is a muscle, the more we exercise it the stronger it becomes. :)

 
Blog Directory