Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Voices of Fiction – Time to write a book - Wrap Up


Welcome to another edition of Voices of Fiction.

Over the last few weeks, the authors have shared their experiences of how long it takes to write a book. As you can see from the variety of answers, there is no set time on the creating process.

I’ve heard fiction writing compared to giving birth, but the written word isn’t restricted to the same gestation period. One may become a delighted parent within weeks, or it may take several years to experience the joys of parenthood.

How long does it take you to write a book?

It depends on the length of the book, but deadline can also influence my speed of writing. I wrote one of my novellas within a two week period, the other within a month. Both were up against a deadline. I’d also like to point out both contained around 10,000 words, so very much long, short stories.

When you start talking short stories, I can pull together one in as little as a day, and by the end of the week it’s ready to walk. ☺ Doesn’t mean it won’t fall a few times and skin its knees.

When you set your goal for 30,000 and beyond, I feel this lengthens the time considerably. You dig a little deeper into your characters and stretch out their problems. More plot lines are introduced and more complications are faced by your cast of characters. Not to mention the people who just pop up in the middle throwing you off track. Or the odd ball decision your main character may make to send you off in a new direction, leaving you scrambling back to the beginning to pick up the pieces she scattered along the way.

50,000 words can be written within a month. Many proved this during November’s National Novel Writing Month. But, for many the month was more of a sexual encounter rather than the actual development of the fetus. ☺ I know - some of you were able to get that baby in gear, through outlines and preparation.

My point is - I don’t really know how long it takes me to write a book just yet. I have three projects (four if you count my very first attempt, which continues to nag at me) on the burner and varied time tables on each, but none complete. So, this is a question I’ll have to wait to answer. It has been a long journey for each of these groups of cast members. I’m sure they will all be happy to find their way into this wonderful world for their first steps.

Thank you all for joining us as we explored ‘how long it takes to write a book.’ Next week, we'll begin exploring another topic on "Voices of Fiction." Feel free to join in.

Readers send questions to chergreen@chergreen.com, Subject: Voices of Fiction Question, and have them answered by the participating authors in later editions.

There’s also room for more authors to participate. Drop me an email, Subject: Voices of Fiction.

3 comments:

Terry W. Ervin II said...

Hope you're able to get those 4 projects finished...in good time, and of course it'll provide data points for how long it takes you, since there is no one answer for every writer. Interesting topic.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I like hearing about your process, Cher. Merry Christmas, thanks for all your support in 2012, and here's to an even better 2013!

Cher Green said...

Terry, Thanks. I hope so too. Feeling a little procrastination coming on, but I'll work through it.

Joylene, Thank you for your support. It has meant a lot.

Hope both of you have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

 
Blog Directory