Thursday, March 10, 2011

Writer's Website

It seems a writer’s presence is important when it comes to the writing world. A writer who has already established a following can produce more advertising for their published work. Advertising equals sales in the publishing industry.

How do you set up a writer’s presence? The internet supplies a web of sources: Twitter, Facebook, Blogs, Websites, and Newsletters. I’m sure there are more out there. Feel free to comment on other avenues.

I recently decided to set up my own Writer’s Website. My blog has shown growth over the last couple of years. With three publications under my belt and a novel in progress, I felt it may be time.

Do you have to be published to start a writer’s website? Not at all, but I felt that having sample work to offer was important, so I waited.

What do you include on your website? I’ve spent a few days dancing around the web, and it seems the following things are important:

• Biography – a section about you will establish a personal connection with the public.
• Contact Information – supply a way for the public and editors to reach out.
• Photo- a photo is not necessary, but it gives the public a face to put with the name.
• Testimonials – comments from readers of your work gives you credibility.
• Sample Work – giving the public a taste of what you write builds a following of readers.
• Personality – let your website show the public you as a person.

Again, I’m sure there’s more content that can be included and possibly should be included. Feel free to make suggestion in the comments.

Another issue may be how to set up a website. Weebly, for me, was a good starting point. The site makes it easy to produce your site and provides many options. You will also have the opportunity to remove ‘weebly’ from your address by purchasing your own domain.

I chose to keep the ‘weebly’ address for now, but it is important to look professional. So when I feel more confident in my format, I will purchase my own domain.

My website link: http://chergreen.weebly.com/ .

I welcome comments on my website and any suggestions for improvements. Also, feel free to post your own website link in the comments. One way to decide a layout for your website is to look at other writers’ websites.

11 comments:

Aubrie said...

Great website! I love the picture of the window with all the glass bottles.

Anonymous said...

Aubrie, Thanks. A writer friend produced the picture with photoshop.

Cherie Reich said...

Great start on a writer webpage! I might suggest mentioning where your stories are located beyond just having links. That way people looking on your site know they were in such an such magazine, etc.

Anonymous said...

Cherie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I also added date of publication.

Terry W. Ervin II said...

Cher,
Good start-up. I suspect you've seen my website.

You might consider not typing your contact email address as is as there are bots that search the web for such and it could end up collecting a bit of spam over time.

Here's what I did (see contact page on my website):
http://www.ervin-author.com/contactinformation.htm

Anonymous said...

Terry,

Thanks for the suggestion. Just took care of that issue. I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Lynn, Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I like the look of your website, Cher.

Anonymous said...

Susanne, Thank you.

J. Steven Baugh said...

Your website does look good. I didn't know about weebly before, thanks.
It's also nice to read your posts reiterating the need to get a web presence. I finally have a blog, but I need to get out more. Keep pounding it into my thick skull!

Anonymous said...

J. Steven Baugh,

Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you enjoyed the post and was introduced to weebly. I hadn't heard of the site either before this. It's very user friendly. Good luck on you web presence.

 
Blog Directory