Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Rome Wasn't Built In A Day

And neither was the story of Star Wars, Harry Potter, or Spider man.

Valuable projects take time.

It is important to remember this when you begin a novel.

You may begin at a rapid pace, but you will reach the middle, and most likely your enthusiasm will dwindle.

You will feel discouraged and wonder why it is taking so long.

You may find that your story has made a left turn and is headed toward the dumpster.

Take a breath. The journey toward a finished novel is a long one. You will need patience. Don't toss it in the trash because you've hit a roadblock. Pause, refresh, and go at it again.

Remember 'Rome was not built in a day.' and neither will your novel be completed.

11 comments:

Aubrie said...

This is a great post for me because I am in the middle (43,000 out of 70-80K) and I need a cheer up talk!
Thanks, Cher!

Anonymous said...

lol, Aubrie, glad I could help.

Terry W. Ervin II said...

Just make progress. Sometimes steady, sometimes it stalls a bit. You're correct. Press forward, through the slow periods.

Lynn Andrade said...

That's something that I tend to forget. Good reminder, and timely. :D

Anonymous said...

This also applies to your writing career. Piece by piece, day by day. As I work on my novel, I try to remember this quote in hope to clear my frustrated mind.

Anonymous said...

Great blog post Cher. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

It is a great thing to always keep in mind, especially when you are working toward something.

arbraun said...

Finishing a novel is the biggest challenge I've ever come across. I learned at MuseCon that it takes 2-5 years to build success--that if someone says you'll earn $10,000 in a month, they're lying--and have found that to be true. It really is like slaying a dragon like MuseCon said. I've been working on it since '06 and will finally be done this summer, if I can keep my sanity till then, lol. Thanks for the encouragement.

Anonymous said...

A.R. It is a challenge. Glad to hear you are finding success. Keep writing.

MysteryKnitter said...

You are so right. One must take a break and relax. The story will return, when the time is right.

Cher Green said...

:) It's something a writer must continue to reflect upon. When your in that writing mode and hit a wall, it's so easy to forget.

 
Blog Directory