Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Voices of Fiction - Traditional or Self-Publication - Part Three

Welcome to Voices of Fiction.

We continue our discussion on publication choice, traditional or self-publication.

Please welcome our authors.

Cara Marsi, former corporate drone and cubicle dweller, and award-winning author, is published in romantic suspense, contemporary romance and paranormal romance. She also writes short romance stories for women’s magazines. Cara and her husband share their house with a fat black diva of a cat named Killer. - Website, Twitter, Facebook

Liz Crowe’s groundbreaking romance sub-genre, “Romance for Real Life,” has gained thousands of fans and followers who are interested less in the “HEA” and more in the “WHA” (“What Happens After?”) Her books are set in the not-so-common worlds of breweries, on the soccer pitch and in high-powered real estate offices. Don’t ask her for anything “like” a Budweiser or risk painful injury. - WebsiteBlog, Facebook


Terry W. Ervin II is an English and Science teacher who enjoys writing. Gryphonwood Press published the first two novels in his First Civilization’s Legacy Series (FLANK HAWK and BLOOD SWORD) and he is busy writing the third novel in the fantasy series. In November 2012 Gryphonwood Press is slated to release Terry’s first short story collection, GENRE SHOTGUN. - Website, Blog



Children’s Picture Book author, Clara Bowman-Jahn, of “Annie’s Special Day” is living the life of her dreams an hour at a time. - Website, Etreasures



Welcome Authors! It's wonderful to have you back.

What is your publishing method choice: Traditional or Self-Publication? Why?

Cara Marsi - I have indie published several books and I love the control, I love writing what I want and not what a publisher's marketing department wants. I'm leaning more and more toward all indie publishing. But I always hire a professional editor to edit my indie books.

Liz Crowe - Traditional. I have been very lucky to find a small publisher who believed in my voice and has poured a ton of time and energy into getting me the best editing, best cover art and top notch promotional assistance. I am way too busy with my other business to take on all that myself. I want to WRITE the books and let experts in other fields do their part to make them successful.

Terry W. Ervin II - Traditional. There are some aspects of publishing that I prefer my publisher focus on rather than me. It enables me to have more time for writing, and life in general. Counting writing as a part-time job, I have one full-time and three part-time jobs, in addition to a family, church and other life activities. Plus, having a traditional publisher opens opportunities self-publishing doesn’t, such as participation at some book events and conventions, including panels and signings, which I may not otherwise have. As self-publishing continues to become better established over the next decade, I strongly suspect that may change.

Clara Bowman-Jahn - "Annie's Special Day" was traditionally published and I like that it went through a gate keeper of sorts. It validated me when it happened. However I have nothing against self-published books. There are some very good ones out there. No matter if one self publishes or go the traditional route one needs to get a good editor and pay for a good cover.

Thank you all for joining us today.

Readers and Authors, feel free to ask questions and leave comments concerning this topic in the comment section below. You may also send questions to chergreen@chergreen.com

(Disclaimer - Bios and photos submitted by authors.)

2 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I prefer Traditional, though I've done both. It was great to hear everyone's different paths.

Cher Green said...

Joylene, I do also, although I haven't stepped down the other path. :) Thanks for stopping by and continuing to support. Hoping to have some fresh, exciting news in a few weeks. Itching to share. :)

 
Blog Directory