Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Your Mission...Should You Decide to Accept It



Education Wants to be Free by Terri Main

Terry posted an article I thought you might enjoy. For the full article - click here.

Most businesses and nonprofit organizations have mission statements. A mission statement is an (ideally) short statement of the purpose of that organization which sets a focus for the organization's activities. Of course, the reality of mission statements is that often they bear little resemblance to what the organization truly does and those that do, are rarely short.

So, what does this have to do with you as a writer?


Writers lose focus, just as organizations can lose focus. Sometimes we need to set a point on a map and concentrate on arriving at the location. I find the description of the mission statement very similar to setting a goal. By looking at it from this viewpoint, you may find it easier to find your way.

Basically, a mission statement can keep you on track, rather than drifting in other directions. I often find myself doing just that. I have many interests, and I tend to go in multiple directions. When writing your mission statement you should devote your words toward your writing career, not other hobbies and such. Make it direct and leave no room for side roads. Save those delightful journeys for your free time, not for your writing job.

Your mission as a writer is what you plan to accomplish, and it will change over time. To keep it simple, your statement should be around 25 words.

My mission: Cher Green's mission is to provide the best possible journey, whether it is through her own writing or the editing process of others work.

So, what's your mission?

4 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

My mission is to continue writing stories I'd love to read, and to grow as a storyteller and a writer. Grow, grow, grow.

Oh, and to spoil my grandchildren.

Anonymous said...

Joylene,

great mission!

Terry W. Ervin II said...

For me, setting goals is like a mission statement.

Anonymous said...

Terry,

I agree, they are the same, but doesn't mission sound so much better, lol.

 
Blog Directory