Tuesday, June 29, 2010

the Artist's Way - Week Eight - Day One

Recovering a Sense of Strength

Life is about survival, which usually points to losses. A loss should be disguised as a gain. You should ask yourself, what can I gain from this loss? Ask what's next, rather than why me. Don't take no as a final answers.

It's easier to say I have learned, or I have created. But the artist's focus should be on the process not the product.

Each journey begins with a small step.

Many blocked creators think about their dreams on large scales and the outlook of changing their whole life to fit in to the dream. This form of grand thinking is usually their on undoing. By setting the jump to high and the price tag too great, the recovering artist sets defeat into motion. Break it into small steps and they turn into accomplishments.

This week is going to be a little different. I've picked out one of the exercises and broken it down into seven steps. If you are following in the book, you will notice that my version takes us a little further than the one in the book. Let's see how far we can go in a week with this.

Name Your Dream

What is your dream? Do you want to be in a Hollywood play, write a bestselling novel, or produce a short story? Whatever it is, no matter how big or how small, give it a name, a voice. That's it for today.

My Dream: To become a published author.

4 comments:

Lynn Andrade said...

I like the way you think!

My dream is to be able to make a living with my writing.

Anonymous said...

Lynn, that works, but it is a big goal. You might want to start with something smaller. You can decide as you follow along this week.

Lynn Andrade said...

Lol. Yeah, I know, I was going BIG. :) A very valid and welcomed secondary dream/goal is being more productive and getting some published work under my belt.

Anonymous said...

Lynn, That's a great one for this exercise.

 
Blog Directory